Filing a Complaint Against a Cambridge Police Department Employee



It is the goal of the Cambridge Police Department to provide responsive and professional law enforcement services to the residents and visitors of our city.



Each member of the Cambridge Police Department strives to work toward our goal through working with the community and solving problems on a daily basis.  For the continued improvement of the Cambridge Police Department, it is imperative that we maintain the highest standards of ethics and integrity.



The Cambridge Police Department welcomes your suggestions and comments regarding our performance.  Be it a question, comment, commendation or complaint, we want to hear from you.



What if I want to make a complaint?


The Chief of Police is interested in hearing from the citizens of Cambridge regarding his employees, regardless of the nature – commendation or complaint.  The Cambridge Police Department accepts and thoroughly investigates complaints on the part of its personnel:  Officers, Dispatchers or civilian employees.  The Cambridge Police Department Complaint Against Personnel Report can be obtained at the Cambridge Police Department.

Click here for the Complaint Against Personnel Report in PDF format



Do I have to give my name if I file a complaint?


Yes.  We will not investigate anonymous complaints.



Do I have to complain in person?


We prefer to talk to you in person, so that your information can be represented more thoroughly.  We also accept complaints by telephone or letter.  You should include your contact information, as we will need to contact you.  In some cases such as a formal complaint, it will be necessary that we speak to you in person.  This meeting can take place at the Cambridge Police Department, your home, or other location.



Do I have to file a “Formal Complaint” or can I just speak with the employee’s supervisor?


If you choose, you can meet with the affected employee’s immediate supervisor or Division Commander to air your concerns.



How much time do I have to file a complaint?


Complaints should be filed as soon as possible as delays could harm an investigation due to the passage of time.


If you have a brutality complaint, your complaint must be filed and notarized within 90 days.



Will my complaint be published in the newspaper?


No. Complaints Against Personnel are considered confidential in nature and are not released to any press or media.



Who will investigate my complaint?


A Cambridge Police Department Supervisor or the Internal Affairs Unit will investigate your complaint.



Will the employee know that I filed a complaint against them?


Yes.  The employee has a right to know who made a complaint against him or her.



Will the Police Department retaliate against me for making a complaint?


No.  It is essential that we maintain the public’s confidence in order to continue the high standards that the Police Department has set.





I am under 18 years old.  Can I make a complaint?


Yes, but you need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.



How will I know what happened once I make a complaint?


Once an investigation is concluded all persons who file a complaint will be notified of the results of the investigation.